Destruction is part of the creative process part 2

This piece had also been sitting in my studio untouched. The encaustic background went really well and I was really happy about it. I imaged a water scene with tiny people and animals and twigs and such floating around. The problem arose when I got too detailed with it too quickly. A painting should have an in between "rough" stage where a larger brush is used. I went right into this one with my tiny "O.C.D." brush painting lots of details. The painting as a whole didn't "gel". So I scraped the oil parts off pretty easily with a razor (yay, encaustics!) and then covered the mess with some translucent green oil paints. This one also will need to marinate for a while, as I'm not sure what will happen with it. I am feeling a sense of relief to have a clean slate.